2 Apr 2008

APRIL FOOLS

Phew! Another April Fools Day successfully navigated … at least to my knowledge.

Plus, I am feeling rather smug at having spotted the bogus news articles typically featured by my favorite news outlets.

Having fun at the workplace is important. However jokes and humor also represent a corporate communications minefield. Being jocular can be interpreted as having little professional focus, immaturity and can lead to not being taken seriously. Plus, there’s the issue of risking offense (telling blonde jokes in a Swedish office is a definite no-no) or even litigation (I hope my blonde American colleagues aren’t reading this).

Of course, there’s no need to be a stick-in-the-mud at work. But when it comes to getting the job done, rely on being professional, not on delivering a punchline.

No comments: