16 Jul 2010

Old media habits die hard

"Hotshot new media companies do not have a higher creativity quotient than older ones, they simply place fewer obstacles in the way of seizing the potential of technology transitions."

This comment from Lucy Küng, a professor in media management, got me thinking about my own experience. It's true, as a journalist in the traditional media realm, my day-to-day work was always about being credible; about being seen as reliable. The victim was often creativity.

For years though I clung to the "old ways" determined that the path I knew was the right one, and new media was nothing more than fluff and bubble that gave every tom, dick and harry the right to create their own brand of news. And the worst thing, people would believe it, despite the lack of credibility or reliability.

Clearly the fact that I'm writing this blog, and found Lucy's comment on another one, shows that my thoughts are changing. But what does that mean in regarding to my personal "technology transition." Well for one, I would never have got approval from my news editor to write this piece, and short of funding my own print run of news flyers would never have gained an audience for my thoughts.

Whether this post falls into the realm of creative is for you to judge. The opportunity to make it however has certainly changed the way I think about social media. I'm actually glad now that it exists.

Michelle Walkden
Communications consultant

Related links: Lucy Küng's original post

So, who’s JG Communication? We’re Sweden’s largest and, we think, ‘leading’ communications agency in Sweden. We help our clients have conversations with the people that matter most to them using the tools that matter most to us, words, sound and vision.


Andra bloggar om: ,

No comments: